This healthy recipe tastes indulgent and is great for a weekend brunch.
150g Spelt flour
1tsp vanilla extract
1tsp baking powder
2tbsp maple syrup
3/4tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 large beaten egg
2 mashed ripe bananas
- In a saucepan over medium heat, put the maple syrup with 200 g of blueberries and bring to the boil. Turn down to a gentle simmer and cook, frequently stirring until berries begin to burst. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Combine the baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spelt flour in a mixing bowl.
- In another bowl beat together the vanilla, milk, mashed banana and egg, pouring into the dry ingredients and mixing to form a batter. Stir in the remaining blueberries.
- Brush the surface of a large frying pan lightly with oil and heat over medium heat. Add small ladles of batter to form six pancakes, spacing them out. Cook until bubbles begin to appear on the surface and the underneath is lightly browned before flipping over and cooking for another minute or so.
- Repeat the process to make 12 pancakes. Serve each person three pancakes topped with the blueberry compote and more sliced banana if desired.